A surprising amount of British and American home comforts can be found in a Munich department store!
Galeria Kaufhof is the largest department store chain in Germany, selling a variety of goods with designer and own brand labels. You can expect to find things like clothes and accessories, jewellery, watches, perfume, home textiles, stationery and toys. It’s a bit like Debenhams but with a section devoted to gourmet food, wine and gifts.
With four locations in the Munich area, the store I visited for this post is at the Marienplatz, right in the centre of Munich. You’ll find the food section downstairs, beginning with chocolate and sweets before heading into the mini supermarket. There’s a pick and mix Jelly Belly wall, along with a variety of imported and German chocolates (think Lindt, Niederegger and Hachez). There’s a selection of chewy sweets and imported biscuits – even a range of Italian Mulino Bianco cookies!
The supermarket itself features a wide range of items, from fresh fruit and vegetables, a deli counter for cheese, meats, breads and fresh pasta to things like tea, coffee, cereals, soup, baking products, oils, sauces and alcohol as well as chilled and frozen items. It’s a proper little supermarket, with department store prices! I couldn’t recommend doing a whole shop here but I often nip in and pick up those things I just can’t find anywhere else.
This list isn’t exhaustive – there’s far more by way of home comforts in the food section of the Marienplatz Galeria! For the curious, I hope this post gives you an idea of what you might find in store!
- Cadbury – Dairy Milk Whole Nut, Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut €3.99
- Haribo – Wine Gums €1.19
- Tate & Lyle Icing Sugar – €1.99
- Cottage Delight – Sea Salted Carmel Sauce €7.99, Brandy Butter, Clotted Cream €6.49, Ginger Curd €5.99
- Taylor & Colledge – Organic Vanilla Paste €6.99 – €7.99, Vanilla Extract €7.99
- Clif Bar – Various Flavours including Chocolate Chip, White Chocolate Macadamia, Oatmeal Raisin & Walnut, Blueberry Crisp
- Nature Valley Crunchy Bars – Oats & Dark Chocolate, Canadian Maple Syrup, Oats & Honey €2.99
- Gu – Various Flavours including Lemon Cheesecake, New York Cheesecake, Chocolate & Vanilla Cheesecake €3.99
- Cathedral City Cheddar – 9, 15 and 20 Months Mature €2.99
- Cathedral City Cheddar Slices – 4 and 9 Months Mature €2.99
- Kerrygold Cheddar – 6 Months Mature €2.79
- Tyrrell’s & Kettle Chips – Various Flavours €2.99
- Rajah – Minced Ginger Paste, Minced Coriander, Garam Masala Powder, Various Chutneys, Various Curry Pastes – from €3.49
- Geeta’s – Various Sauces, Pastes, Chutney and Spice Mixes – from €2
- Sharwoods – Madras Sauce, Mango Chutney, Tandoori Powder
- Walkers Shortbread – Various – from €3.99
- Waitrose Duchy Organic Shortbread – €4.99
- Betty Crocker – Chocolate Chip Cookie Mix, Chocolate Fudge Brownie Mix and Chocolate Chunk Muffin Mix – from €5.49
- Greens – Scone Mix, Vanilla Sponge, Golden Crumble – from €3.49
- Arm & Hammer Baking Soda – €1.29
- Crisco – €5.49
- Libby’s Pumpkin Pie Filling – €3.29
- Marshmallow Fluff – Strawberry, Original
- Swiss Miss – Milk Chocolate, Marshmallow – €4.99
- Pop Tarts – Strawberry, Chocolate
- Lyles – Golden Syrup, Strawberry Syrup
- Peanut Butter
- French’s Mustard
- Hellmann’s Mayo in Various Flavours
- Cheese Zip
- Jack Daniels Sauces
As I mentioned before, I haven’t been able to get all the home comfort foods included in this post – why not go and have a nosey? Happy hunting!
Location | Galeria Kaufhof München Marienplatz, Kaufinger Straße 1-5, 80331 München
Opening Times | 09:00 – 20:00, Monday – Saturday
Find Out More | Website