Another week has just flown by. Did you catch these snippets of foodie news, reviews, special mentions and upcoming events?
Products & News
- Jack Daniel’s Tennesse Cider | I actually had to check the date on this article and make sure it wasn’t some April Fool’s thing. But nope! “The launch gives people a new way to enjoy Jack Daniel’s Tennessee whiskey, that has all the bold attitude of Jack, but with the ease and refreshment of a premium cider.” | Food Bev
- Meringue Drops | I don’t know if you’ve ever had one of those meringues that’s as big as your face, crisp on the outside and lightly gooey on the inside; Beautiful to look at, a mission to eat and wonderfully enjoyable. If you haven’t, you really should – and these guys know how to make an awesome meringue. But if you’ve always been put off by the size of them, this new Merangz release might be up your street. | Bakery Info
- Cashew Milk Yogurt | From Nush and available in three flavours; natural, vanilla and strawberry. Before you get too excited about this though, the pots are £1.99 and only currently stocked in Whole Foods Market and Planet Organic. | Food Bev
- Marmite Might Help Fight Dementia | Good news, Marmite lovers! Researchers believe that the protective benefits Marmite may provide stem from the amount of vitamin B12 it contains! Pop the toast in, ready your favourite spread and have a read! | Food Bev
- Unilever Puts Spreads Up For Sale | After the failed Kraft Heinz take-over bid, Unilever has decided to offload it’s spreads section. This includes Bertolli, Flora and Stork. Now I’m a Bertolli girl myself, so I can only hope that the Cadbury/Kraft reformulation project that hit our chocolate bars doesn’t spread to my spreads. If you know what I mean. | Food Bev
- Krispy Kreme | Whilst I’m still feeling a bit grumpy at these guys for doing an “early” April Fools prank… which by my reckoning makes it just a weirdly timed lie… They’re getting a mention this week. New doughnuts ahead!
- UK: Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme – Ring and Filled – Both topped with white chocolate flavoured coating and Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme pieces. The filled version contains Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme Kreme.
- USA: Mint Chocolate Doughnut Made with Ghirardelli – filled with White Mint Kreme filling, dipped in chocolate icing, decorated with green colored icing and topped with mini chocolate chips dusted in powdered sugar. Sea Salt Caramel Doughnut Made with Ghirardelli – filled with salted caramel filling, dipped in chocolate icing, drizzled with chocolate and caramel icings and topped with a blend of amber sugar, salt sprinkle, and mini chocolate chips.
- Krispy Kreme Reviews | And whadda ya know, seek and yea shall find! If you were interested in the UK Krispy Kreme doughnuts mentioned just a few moments ago, you’ll be interested in these reviews! As an added bonus, there’s a Coconut & Raspberry doughnut in there too! | Reaching for Refreshment | Nibbles ‘n’ Scribbles
- 30% Less Sugar Fruit Pastilles | When I’d heard another childhood favourite was getting the reformulation treatment I was a little skeptical. I’m always curious as to how a certain ingredient gets reduced – what’s the replacement, how does it affect texture and flavour? Have a read of Kev’s review and see what you think! | Kev’s Snack Reviews
- Starburst Ice Cream Jelly Beans | Oh I love a jelly bean. From Jelly Belly to those weirdly large ones you can get in a Candy King pick & mix, I don’t discriminate. Is this American import worth the time and money though? | Nibbles ‘n’ Scribbles
- Syrup Sponge Desserts | From the packaging shot I thought these were warm microwave sponges, but it actually looks more like Golden Syrup trifle! Which sounds like an utterly fab concept, honestly. It should be a super easy thing to get right… so did they? | Amy Seeks New Treats
- Expat Guide to German Bureaucracy | You might have seen me mention LiveWorkGermany before, or if you’re following me around Twitter you’ll have certainly seen a retweet or two. This week there’s a very interesting and handy article on getting to grips with German bureaucracy and what you should consider putting on your “to do” list when you move out here. Take a look! | LiveWorkGermany
- Munich and the New Underground Tunnel | Struggling with the commute through central Munich? There may be good news on the horizon… but only if you’re able to wait 10 years! A second underground tunnel is being created to work in conjunction with the existing S-Bahn line that feeds all trains through the same section of track through the centre of Munich. Read about the works at the jump. | The Local
- What’s it Like to Study in Germany? | Thinking about abandoning the UK educational system in favour of something a little more German? This short article from The Guardian might give you a few things to think about! | The Guardian
What’s on Next Week
It’s Easter next week, so look forward to the long weekend from Good Friday to Easter Monday! That’s four days starting on the 14th of April. Plenty of time to make a dint in your Easter Egg selection!
- Chester Food, Drink & Lifestyle Festival | Grab a discounted ticket online and plan to spend your day munching and slurping your way through 155 artisan food and drink exhibitors. There’s lots of information on the website! | Chester Food, Drink & Lifestyle Festival | Chester Racecourse, Chester CH1 2LY | 15th – 17th April 2017, Saturday & Sunday 10am – 6pm, Monday 10am – 5pm | Various Online Offers or £8 on the Door.
- York Chocolate Festival | With a predominantly Yorkshire based set of Market Traders and an events list that includes things like chocolate lollypop making to learning about York’s Sweet Past at the Castle Museum. I’m particularly interested in the exhibition celebrating the 250th anniversary of Terry’s chocolate, featuring products such as opium based throat sweets! The Terry’s exhibition is on all year too. | York Chocolate Festival | York City Centre, Various Locations | 14th to 17th April 2017 | Free Entry – Festival Markets & Demonstrations, Tickets at Various Prices for Exhibitions & Events.
- Birmingham Viva Vegan Festival | From nutritional guidance to free recipes and shop for vegan foodie & non-foodie goodies! | Viva Vegan Festival | MacDonald Burlington Hotel, Burlington Arcade, 126 New Street, Birmingham B2 4JQ | Saturday 15th April, 10:00am – 6:00pm | £3 Entry
From what I can see, Easter weekend in Munich is a quiet one – with plenty of brunches and breakfasts available at Munich restaurants. Hope for happy, sunny weather and enjoy some relaxing free time in the English Garden or your favourite beer garden.