Sunday, Sunday. What are we gonna do with you? Celebrate an extra weekend day cause it’s Bank Holiday Monday tomorrow!
Don’t miss the Special Mention for German food names this week. I love articles like this – both interesting and helpful! I hope you enjoy it too – and yes, I’ve seen the three different words for carrot used in Bavaria!
Products & News
- FOUND! A 100 Year Old Waitrose Sign | How cool is this? You never know what’s lurking under the surface! | Waitrose | Time Out
- Brits would Reject US ‘Frankenfoods’ | This article from The Grocer suggests that 75% of Brits would reject ‘frankenfoods’ from the USA in the wake of a UK/US free trade deal. So what’s a frankenfood? Hormone-treated beef, chlorine-washed chicken and GM grain. Pork produced using farrowing crates (banned in the UK) would be avoided by 56% of those surveyed! | The Grocer
- Major Brands are Cost Cutting | Coca-Cola will be cutting about 1,200 jobs after demand fell | BBC News and Nestlé will be dropping 300 jobs and moving Blue Riband production to Poland | BBC News
- New McVities Digestives | Does a Banoffee Caramel Digestive sound like something you’d be plonking in your shopping basket? What about a Coffee Caramel? Ooohh yes, that one’s got my name allllll over it. | Bakery Info
- Patisserie Valerie Cakes in Sainsbury’s | Sainsbury’s, the supermarket giant, will be trialling Patisserie Valerie cakes at 12 of it’s locations… Are you a Sainsbury’s shopper? Would you be tempted? | Retail Week | Additional images: LinkedIn
- Nush Dairy Free Yogurt | Made from almond milk and available in Tesco, Gemma taste tests the Dairy Free, Soya Free, Gluten Free, Vegan and No Added Sugar Blueberry flavour yogurt! | Free From Foodie
- Caramel M&M’s | I knew it wouldn’t be long before these reviews started hitting my favourite Snack Blog sites. Junk Banter gives the first ‘liquid’ M&M’s variant a try. | Junk Banter
- Surrey Food Festival | Time for something a little different… How about a look at a food festival? It’ll come as no surprise but I’ve been to a few – some good, some bad, but I’ve never been to this one. Have a look at what Nibs thought! | Nibbles ‘n’ Scribbles
- Bizarre Maple Bacon Chocolate | I can’t say I’ve quite wrapped my head around the idea of bacon in a chocolate bar. Sweet and salty together, I’m fine with… but bacon? Thankfully there’s no actual bacon in the bar, so it’s suitable for vegetarians. Curious? Go have a look! | Amy Seeks New Treats
- German Names for Food | I’m finding German to be a difficult language to learn and it doesn’t help that there can be many many words for the same thing. Even the word “the” is far more complicated than it seems! Where I’m doing okay though, unsurprisingly, is understanding all the different words for things I want to eat. Check this list out and drop a comment in the box below with anything similar you’ve found in your home country! For instance, in the UK you’ll find a bread roll be referred to as a barm cake, a bap, and an oven bottomed muffin too! | DW.com
- German Beer | Part Two of James Meads’ guest post series is up! Make sure you stop by and take a look at yet more beery beverages Germany has to offer! | A Sausage Has Two
- Where Is ‘Home’ for an Expat? | This is a nice little read on the identity crisis long term expats can encounter when they, their family or friends, start thinking about what constitutes ‘home’. | 40% German
- Adopting a Dog in Germany | Alie shares her experience of adopting a dog in Germany. If you’re looking to recruit a new fluffy member of the family out here in Germany, have a read and if there’s anything here you’d not considered! | Starting Over In Stuttgart
What’s on Next Week
- BBC Good Food Show Harrogate | BBC Good Food Shows have been going for years – I went to my first one through a school field trip! Utterly loved it and I still have a soft spot for the Winter Birmingham show in November. | BBC Good Food Show | Harrogate International Centre, Kings Road, Harrogate, HG1 5LA | 5th to 7th May, Fri & Sat: 9.30am – 5.30pm, Sun: 9.30am – 4pm | On the Door Tickets from £21.50 per Adult (Standard Price).
- Northamptonshire – Althorp Food & Drink Festival | This one looks pretty interesting! There’s a good variety of producers being showcased, alongside a rum bar and a programme of events that includes blind taste testing Seed & Bean chocolate bars! | Althorp Food & Drink Festival | Althorp Estate, Northampton NN7 4HQ | 6th & 7th May, 10am – 5pm | Entry £8 per Adult on the door, £18 with a house tour. Children free.
- Street Food, Cake and Ice Cream Festival | This is actually a combined food festival, judging by everything that’s going on at the event company’s website! Sounds delicious, honestly they had me at ‘ice cream’… but with the very cold week we’ve had, which included snow showers, I’ll be hoping for better weather by next weekend! | Walhalla Events | Munich, Trabrennbahn, Rennbahnstraße 35 | 6th & 7th May from 10am, Saturday until Midnight, Sunday until 8pm | Entry €5 (includes a drink)
- Streetfood Friday | Held on the first Friday of every month and serving anything from burgers to crêpes, coffee to Ethiopean and Flammkuchen to Korean. Check my impression of April’s event here. The list of attendees can change right up until the event, so make sure to check back with their social media pages for info! | Website | Facebook | Münchner Merkur, Paul-Heyse-Straße 2-4, 80336 Munich | 5th May, 5:00 pm – 11:30 p.m. | Free Entry