Grab a brew and give yourself five minutes to relax and catch up with the week just gone!
With a Bank Holiday Monday in the UK tomorrow (29th May), you’ve got one extra day of weekend to catch up on all the things you’ve been too busy for during the week. Who doesn’t love an extended weekend?
Catch up on some foodie news, reviews and upcoming events below! Don’t miss the Special Mentions section – It’s where I share some random things I’ve enjoyed or found useful this week, often with a Germany related slant!
Products & News
- New Hummingbird Bakery | For those that love The Hummingbird Bakery’s American cakes and treats, you may be interested to know there’s a new store opening up in Guildford! | Bakery Info
- Sugar Free & Non Dairy Chai Latte | Drink Me Chai have spent two years developing this new drink mix, utilising a blend of Stevia and natural flavourings. You’ll be able to find these tubs in Tesco from mid July! The packaging pictured also suggests it’s gluten free. | FDIN
- Sweets & Snacks Expo | Held in Chicago, this show is all about the confectionery and snack industry. It’s a huge huge show for candy and snack professionals and OH how much would I like to attend. As I can’t, have a look at this little lot for some of the products you might be finding on your (American) shelves in the next 12 months… Official Website | Reese’s Popped Snack Mix | Sweet Heat Skittles | Krispy Kreme Jelly Belly | Triple Chocolate M&M’s | White Pumpkin Pie M&M’s | Chocolate Peanut Butter Twinkies | And a bunch of other things…
- Butter Prices Rise | Watch out Butter Lovers! You might not think of yourself as an actual Butter Lover, but if you’re here, you’re probably a fan of croissants, brownies and all things baked. If you’re interested in the how’s and why’s of it, click here. | Bakery and Snacks
- Häagen-Dazs Re-Vamp | One of my favourite Ice Cream producers is having a branding reset… Only I’m not sure I care for it as a whole… Why? Well, it looks half finished to me. Take a peek at the example tubs at the link at the end of this paragraph. I love the drawn, colourful, graphical look for the ribbon around the top of the pot. Unfortunately though (and perhaps this is just me) I don’t think the photograph of the product inspiration works all that well with it. I feel like it should be another graphic, drawn and coloured in the same style as the ribbon. What do you think? | FDIN
- Border Biscuits Launch Café Range | Adding value to café and coffee shop locations, these new biscuits come in three varieties: Pecan & Maple Syrup, Cranberry & Pumpkin Seed Oat Crumbles and Lemon Drizzle Melts. I know which I’d impulse buy, how about you? | Bakery Info
- Milky Bar Reformulation | As is the trend, out goes the sugar… in comes something else! | Food Manufacture
- Costa Coffee Banoffee Frostino | If you’re the sort of person who likes coffee with their banana (or banana with their coffee) – and believe me when I say I’m not that person – then this drink could be your new summer fave! Though the fantasy-cold-coffee-drink-name is making me think it could double as the name of a Mr. Frosty-themed Marvel Comic’s bad guy. I suspect he’s got Italian heritage and can only cry snowflakes… *ahem* Review this way!| Grocery Gems
- Pulsin Brownies and Protein Boosters | Should you be a long(ish) time reader of these Sunday posts, you’ll remember I mentioned Pulsin were getting a rebrand. Well – here they are! There’s plenty of lovely pictures to have a gander at and the Brownies n’ Boosters look pretty damn fine too. | Maverick Baking
- Honeycomb Crunch Cornetto | I associate Honeycomb, or Cinder Toffee, with November and Bonfire Night… but I do love the stuff. It’s seemed a little more like a ‘year round’ affair since the other half found himself addicted to the Crunchie infused bar of Dairy Milk. If you can’t get enough of the aerated sugar, introduce yourself to these Cornetto ice creams over at Foodstuff Finds. | Foodstuff Finds
- Free From Blackcurrant Cheesecakes | These treats are ‘Free From’ all sorts of hidden allergens, so if you’re like me and LOVE a bit of blackcurrant (which I do, despite there never seeming to be enough products filled with the lovely stuff) then this cheesecake might be up your street. Have a look and see what you think! | Kev’s Snack Reviews
- The German Pfand System | I’ve done a little bit of a post on the pfand system here in Germany, but James gives you some more detail and his opinion on its success. If you’re feeling a bit mind-boggled with all the different sorting methods for plastic and glass bottles, give it a read! | Live Work Germany
- German Expressions… with Animals! | Learn a bit more about the German language over here! Have you heard about the Lucky Pig? | DW
- A Day at Chatsworth | Looking for some UK travel inspiration? Then you’ve come to the right place! Having visited Chatsworth myself, I can say with certainty that it’s a lovely day out – we even picked up a couple of the famous lion sculptures as handy (but heavy!) living room appropriate figures from the gift shop! | The Sojourn Series
- Easy Yoghurt Bread Rolls | I love love love fresh bread. I think it accounts for around 65% of my total body weight! There’s probably a breze filling out my stomach and a baguette keeping my legs looking leg shaped as we speak. It’ll take me a couple of weeks before I’ll have chance to make these, but I’m very much looking forward to it! | Jo’s Kitchen Larder
What’s on Next Week
- Newcastle – Foodies Festival | With Great British Bake Off Winner Candice Brown in the Cake & Desserts Theatre, Street Food Avenue, Artisan Market, Live Music and Michelin starred Chefs cooking in the Chefs Theatre, this Foodies Festival has a pretty busy looking timetable! | Foodies Festival | Exhibition Park, Newcastle, NE2 4PZ | 2nd & 3rd June, 11am – 7pm and 4th June, 11am – 6pm | Tickets Required: From £10
- Hertfordshire – Hatfield House Food Festival | Featuring a mixture of Street food, artisan producers, food & drink masterclasses, celebrity chefs, live music plus crafts and cookery for kids! | Hatfield Food Festival | Hatfield House, Station Road, Hatfield, Hertfordshire AL9 5HX | 2nd, 3rd and 4th June, 10am – 5pm | Tickets on the Door: £11 per Adult (discount if booking in advance)
- Cumbria – Westmorland Country Fest | An event for the whole family with food and drink, countryside activities, children’s workshops, stunt demonstrations, live music and plenty more! Sign up to learn how to make sausages and plan on buying lots of lovely local produce! | Westmorland Country Fest | Lane Farm, Crooklands, Milnthorpe, Cumbria, LA7 7NH | 3rd & 4th June, 10am – 5pm (Sun. 4pm) | Tickets: £7.00 in Advance, £9.50 on the Gate
- Streetfood Friday | Held on the first Friday of every month and serving a range of street food. Check out my post on April’s event here. The list of attendees can change right up until the day, so make sure to check back with their social media pages for info! | Website | Facebook | Münchner Merkur, Paul-Heyse-Straße 2-4, 80336 Munich | 2nd June, 5:00 pm – 11:30 p.m. | Free Entry