Time for that Sunday Catch Up featuring foodie news, reviews and new things to the internet that I just happen to like… Dig in!
Products & News
- M & S is Laser Labelling Avocados | Ever been slowed down at a checkout because the pesky label fell off your fruit? Well, this won’t be happening at M&S. At least, not with their avocados. | BBC News
- Coffee Consumption Outstrips Production | Which can only mean one thing… I’m gonna need a new addiction. | BBC News
- Tonka Bean, Cinnamon and a Health Hazard | If you’ve got ten minutes spare, have a read of this interesting article on why tonka beans are illegal to eat in the US and cinnamon rolls were almost banned in Denmark. | BBC
- Poundland Copy Toblerone | I’m not sure this was the chocolate bar the UK market needed, but it’s definitely the one they’re getting! I’m dying for someone to tell me what a “British taste” is though. Drop all knowledge in the comments below! | Digital Spy
- Potato Crisp Sales Resume in Japan | This might be a strange one to hear about, but earlier this year the main manufacturers of crisps for sale in the country had to stop… because of the weather. | Bakery and Snacks
- Proper Italian Gelato Reaches Waitrose | After a visit to Rome a few years ago, I fell utterly in love with the stuff and will take it over ice cream any day of the week. I’ll be watching out for a review of this brand appearing! Just a hint, UK bloggers… | FDIN
- Jack Daniel’s Cider | I mentioned these in the Products & News section a few weeks ago – and as luck would have it, here’s a review! | A Review A Day
- UK Butterfinger Cups | The Peanut Butter variant of Nestlé Butterfinger Cups are up for review this week. Had you realised they’d started making these in the UK yet? Have you been surprised to see them in stores? And the better question – what do you think of them? | Lot-o-Choc
- Vibe Feel Good Popcorn | Popcorn coated in freeze dried strawberries? Can it be as good as it sounds? … *Drumroll*… You know what to do to find out! | Kev’s Snack Reviews
- Ritter Sport Peppermint | A variety that’s available in the UK, it’s probably not surprising that Ritter have exported their mint variety to our shores. Have you tried it before? | Guilt Free Veggie
- Coffee Caramel Digestives | She finally found them! I’m only ever-so-slightly just-a-little-bit envious of her Coffee Caramel Digestive munching… but should I be? Are they any good? Go find out at the link! | Amy Seeks New Treats
- Happy Birthday Gingey Bites | Regulars here will be no stranger to finding links to this fab foodie blog in my Special Mentions section. Her blog turned 5 years old yesterday – head on over and wish her Happy Birthday! | Gingey Bites
- 7 Common Myths about Germany | The Germans are humourless, efficient and like to get naked. Does this sound about right to you? Well read on! | Live Work Germany
- American Kids Try Turkish Food | I love trying new food, as you can probably tell, so I find it pretty interesting watching something like this. Children tend to be fairly honest and though there’s a tendancy to play up for the camera and I’m not quite over the adults not allowing children knives to go with their forks, I still enjoy the videos. | HiHo YouTube
- Weinbergswanderung in Eibelstadt | Are you in the Franconia region over the summer? Maybe you’re interested in lovely walks with a glass of wine to look forward to? Though Germany may be more often thought of associated with beer (thanks, Oktoberfest!), have you considered doing a walking wine tour? | Kaffee und Kuchen
- English is Confusing | The ever lovely Dana of Wanted Adventure also makes videos for Telekolleg on the subject of the English language. Take a look at this particular feature of the English language and see if you can think of any more examples! | Telekolleg
What’s on Next Week
If you’ve got an event you’d like to share, pop it in the comments below!
- Bristol – Grillstock Festival 2017 | A weekend of drinking beer, eating meat and live music – including hotdog eating contests, bbq and craft beer. Music headliners include The Pharcyde and The Darkness. | Grillstock | Lloyds Amphitheatre, Bristol Harbourside | 1st and 2nd July | Tickets Required – Click Here
- Gloucestershire – The Cotswold Show | Including the Horsemen of the Knight, a live action stunt show of jousting and sword fights, around 50 food producers and a Cookery Theatre, meet police dogs and see a sheepdog display, there’s even falconry and ferret racing! | The Cotsworld Show and Food Festival | Cirencester Park, Cirencester, Gloucestershire, GL7 2BU | 1st and 2nd July | Tickets Required – Available Online, at Cirencester Visitor Information Centre at the Corinium Museum and on the Gate.
- Tollwood | The Tollwood Summer Festival is back at the Olympia Park, presenting concerts and theatre performances (though you’ll need tickets!), alongside markets full of handcrafted items and plenty of international foods. | Tollwood Sommerfestival | Olympiapark Süd, Munich | 21st June – 16th July | Market: Free Entry / Events: Ticket Required
- Münchner Grill & BBQ Festival 2017 | According to the Facebook page, this one offers “lots of great products from numerous food vendors, extraordinary street food, great music and a very special urban flair. Steak lovers, vegetarians and barbecue enthusiasts will all come to their taste.” | Munich Grill & BBQ Festival | Mars Markt, Denisstraße 5, Munich | 1st and 2nd July from 11am
- REWE Family in München | This event I’m unsure about, though it looks like the supermarket chain Rewe are putting on a collection of things that includes live music, street food, cooking inspiration and an opportunity to learn about the local, regional producers they use. | REWE Family in Munich | Theresienwiese, 80336 Munich | 1st July, 10am – 7pm
- Viktualien & Wein | A wine festival is being held in the middle of the ever popular Viktualienmarkt, just around the corner from Marienplatz! For three days you’ll find extra stalls squirreled away amongst the usual places, so if you find yourself getting a little tipsy you’ll be in the best place to stop and get a bite to eat! | Viktualien & Wein | Viktualienmarkt, Munich | June 29th – Saturday July 1st, check the programme for times.